Friday 23 January 2015

Howard Levitt Februarys Featured Artist

February's featured artist is Howard Levitt, professional artist and illustrator. Howards landscape paintings encapsulate shifting patterns of shadowed contours and dramatic skies. He also creates stunning graphic pen and ink drawings of trees and detailed coloured pencil work of weathered architectural dereliction, we caught up with him below to find out more:


 Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Howard Levitt.I'm a professional artist and illustrator.

How do you work?
I try to stick to a regime of working regular hours at my studio and if I'm very busy I'll
take my work home and work in the evenings.


 What’s your background?
I'm inspired by the landscapes of Derbyshire and Cumbria.Shifting patterns of shadowed contours and dramatic skies.


 Is the artistic life lonely? What do you do to counteract it?
I would'nt say artistic life is lonely.Certainly being an artist requires a lot of self discipline when it comes to working but with networking and todays communications there is always someone to share your ideas and thoughts with. Outside of painting and drawing I like to go walking,play tennis and badminton and there's always DIY at home!

What research to you do?
Depends on the job.Something like an interpretation for the National trust would require a site visit and reference photos.With my own work I take lots of photos whenever I'm out and about looking for inspiration.



  Name three artists you’d like to be compared to.
Three artists that inspire me,not that I would ever compare my work to theirs,are Andrew Wyeth, Norman Rockwell and Michael Barnfather.

 Favourite or most inspirational place ?
The beautiful picturesque scenery above Grasmere and Keswick in Cumbria.



Professionally, what’s your goal?
I'd like to get a good portfolio of work and exhibit more in Galleries.It would be nice to be a 'named'
artist in the future and continue working in my contrasting and diverse styles which I thoroughly enjoy doing.
Thank you Howard find out more here:  www.howardlevitt.co.uk