Tuesday 29 October 2013

November Artist in a Window Anna Krystyna Casey


Novembers artist in a window is  Anna Krystyna Casey she is a unique talent read more about her below!
 
What’s your background?

I studied textiles throughout school, both traditional dressmaking skills, and more contemporary aspects. I’ve always loved working with manipulating fabrics, but through college and into my degree, I became more interesting in creating an art outcome from my techniques.

What art do you most identify with?

My personal interests and loves vary hugely, but I find I am drawn to ceramics. While I don’t really work with ceramics myself, there are similarities in my practice, and that of ceramicist’s. A concentration of technique, form, colour, texture and shape.

What themes do you pursue?

I love to look at the hidden details, to examine things under a microscope, both metaphorically and literally. My Cell Cultures and Cellular collections are inspired by microscopic imagery of the natural world. My Hooked collection focuses on the linear qualities that are found in each crochet stitch, as well as overall fabrics. I suppose I like to draw attention to things which are often overlooked.
 
 

What jobs have you done other than being an artist?

I started working as an artist from graduating (I went on to uni from school and college) so this is my primary career. However I also work as a Textiles Technician in a school, and do some freelance design work. And then of course, there were all the jobs that paid my way through college, waitressing, bar work, factory picking…

Why art?

Because I can’t help it!! Everything logical in me, wanted to get a nice stable 9-5 with a salary, but I can’t help but want to create!!

What memorable responses have you had to your work?

There are many answers to that, I’ve had some pretty, well, rude (!) ones, and some funny ones too.  But I like to make people take a second look, to question what they see, and how I’ve created it.

Is the artistic life lonely? What do you do to counteract it?

As I work part time, it’s actually quite nice when I have long and solitary days in the studio to get lost in my work. But if I am feeling the loneliness, I have a fab network of creative friends, even if I don’t have time for a coffee and chat, I can usually tweet hello, and get some contact that way!

What do you dislike about the art world?

The pigeon holes: my work doesn’t fit neatly into boxes; it is art and craft, traditional and contemporary, functional and non-functional. Etc. Etc. Trying to define your work into tick boxes gets really boring after a while!!
 
 

What do you dislike about your work?

I love the results of working with glass, the textures, the light qualities, but sometimes I find the processes I use for the glasswork a bit tedious, I like the immediacy of the papers and waxes better.

I also wish I could be a bit more sustainable in my practise, it’s something I strive for, but I don’t want to compromise the outcome of the work.

What do you like about your work?

I like that it is very different, people often comment on how unique my combination of processes are! I like that I fuse traditional techniques with contemporary outcomes.

What research to you do?

All sorts, I love, love, love looking at other artists. I could quite happily have an alternative career as a collector. But I also research technical developments, first hand imagery. It varies depending on the need.

What is your dream project?

I would love to do large scale commission work, fill big interior spaces, and do more installations. I love to think big, despite the small crochet hooks!! 

 
Thanks Anna! Find out more: www.anna-krystyna-casey.com

Novembers main exhibition is the author of this blog Ruth Gray Images artists interview coming up!