Friday 20 September 2013

Introducing New Artist Interview Jayne Low.

Here at Studio 61 we are always welcoming new artists and this week we have had the pleasure of meeting Jayne Low who came to visit us with her new artwork which is wonderfully colourful and is cheering us up as the days are getting slightly darker.
 We fired off some quick questions to Jayne to see how she creates such textured pieces.
Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Jayne Low and I’m an artist working in mixed media.

How do you work?

A rarely use a brush, but use flicking, splashing and dripping the paint.
 

What’s your background?

I trained as a florist for 5 years, and had two flower shops, and after a family members illness I had the opportunity to retrain so went back to college to study textiles and art.
 

How has your practice changed over time?

I experiment more with different mediums, if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t matter!

What jobs have you done other than being an artist?

I was a manager for Tesco for ten years, before I went back to college to study floristry.
 

What memorable responses have you had to your work?

Energetic, colours spontaneous.
 

What inspires you?

Nature, flowers and changing seasons.

Is the artistic life lonely? What do you do to counteract it?

I am as well as an artist a full time carer for my husband and mother of 6. I never get lonely!
 

What do you dislike about your work?

It can get really messy I get paint on my feet, in my hair indeed everywhere!

What do you like about your work?

I can let go. The colours make me feel happy. There are no rules to follow its quite liberating.

Professionally, what’s your goal?

To earn a living, and provide for my family as a full time artist.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?

Stop worrying about what people think paint from the heart.
Thankyou Jayne!
Gareth Buxton and Jayne Woodbridge exhibitions continue through September please pop up anytime coffee machine is always on!