Friday 6 September 2013

September Artist in the Window Interview Jayne Woodbridge


Our Artist in a window this month is Jayne Woodbridge we are delighted to be displaying her ceramics and textiles we caught up with her as she was creating her window display to find out more about her.
 
Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Jayne Woodbridge and I am a Textile/Ceramic Artist.

Why art?

I have always been creative and love fabrics and anything that is tactile that can be used to create my work.

How did you start out?

After finishing a City and Guilds, level 3, in Design and Craft I went on to do a three year degree at Derby University. I specialized in weave and men's fashion. After leaving university I decided to work for myself. This enabled me to work around my sons schooling.

Where did your ideas come from?

I had been making bags for people and came up with the idea of 'upcycling' clothes. This seemed a really good use of garments that were no longer wanted. I made bags from scarves, jumpers, shirts, trousers and even curtains. Aprons were popular and bunting is a must for summer parties outside.

Everything item I make is a one off creation and unique.
 
 

You said you were also a ceramic artist how did that come about?

My ceramics are something entirely different!

I started going to a adult education class when my youngest child was 9 months old. Pottery was the only class that appealed to me and as soon as started I became hooked. I went on to complete an Open Collage Network course, gaining 21 credits. After saving and buying my own wheel and a small kiln I started to work a bit from home.

What is it about ceramics you like? They certainly look good in our window!

I love working with clay, it’s very therapeutic. I can just work and loose myself in what I am making.

I am hoping to combine my ceramics with my weave and have been experimenting in my studio. I now have my textile side and my ceramic side.
 
 

You have a studio where is that based?

I have a studio space that I work in and teach at Banks Mill in Derby. My door is always open to anyone that wants to know or see what I do.
Thankyou Jayne!
Our exhibition in our main gallery 'Stormy Weather' continues this month by Gareth Buxton.