Tuesday 13 May 2014

Derbyshire Open Arts Part 2 at Studio 61 Gallery

This is the second blog showcasing the artists taking part in Derbyshire Open Arts this May at Studio 61 Gallery, each year we aim to bring you a variety of styles by emerging and established artists, below are the artists statements and works by three of those taking part this year.

Helen Rhodes. 


A love of textiles leads to it always being present in anything I do.  I love of nature has the same result so to combine the two I create needle felted art. I ‘paint’ with pre dyed merino wool that I blend  by traditional combing to create the desired shades and I then use a barbed felting needle to pin the wool to a background fabric. 



Ellie Depp


A self-taught artist from Derbyshire, England. She creates abstract works in acrylic and watercolour, and is particularly known for her striking use of colour.
Depp draws a lot of her inspiration from the Peak District and works of other artists. After dropping out of University and suffering with depression for many years she decided to explore her creative side with painting. It became a great therapy for her mental illnesses and in 2013 she started her own business. She began to explore new techniques using palette knives and ‘pouring’ acrylic paint mixed with mediums to create fluidity and movement in her pieces.


Depp has exhibited in Leeds, York, Sheffield, Derbyshire and London and is now currently working on her next series of paintings and art events. She is hosting The Chesterfield Art and Craft Fair on Saturday 31st May and The Depp Pop Up Shop in Sheffield on 18/19/20th June.
www.artbyelliedepp.com 


Janice Allen


From 5’ painted canvasses, painted glass panels to small glass and silver jewellery pendants and earrings all have a common theme, which is texture.  With the flow of inks on the canvas or the different size pieces of glass which melt in my kiln I never know how a piece will turn out.


I enjoy exploring new techniques whilst working some of my new work will be with me at Derbyshire Open Arts g2g event at Studio 61 Holloway.
If you have seen a piece of artwork on my website you would specifically like to view please send me an email and if I have the piece in my workshop I will bring it along to the event. 
info@janiceallen.co.uk
https://facebook.com/janice.allen.3388630   


 Derbyshire Open Arts will take place 24th - 26th of May 10 - 5 pm all are welcome and refreshments will be available.