Wednesday 1 July 2015

Rebecca Morledge a gallery2gallery show for July


 For the month of July under the gallery2gallery umbrella, Studio 61 and Cromford Studio and Gallery are teaming up to showcase the wonderful work of Rebecca Morledge. Below we asked her a few quick questions to find out what lies behind these wonderful works.

How do you work? 

I usually create a painting in 3 stages.
The first stage takes the longest and is the most difficult. This involves drawing every detail within the image. I only move onto the next stage when I am completely happy with the composition.
The second stage is using watercolour to add life to the image. Finally I use a dip pen and ink to add all of the details. My paintings take on average 40 – 50 hours to complete.



What art do you most identify with?

I really love the work of childrens book illustrators Quentin Blake and Shirley Hughes. I remember reading books illustrated by these artists as a child and then read them to my own children. The images are so beautiful they stand alone as pieces of art.

What memorable responses have you had to your work?

I quite often get told that my work is like Where’s Wally and Lowry both of which I take as huge compliments…if only J



What inspires you?

The sea and coast always inspire me and I always come back full of ideas after a trip to the seaside.
I love looking at the tops of buildings, especially in towns and cities, many of the older buildings are beautiful but we never tend to look above the shop windows.

Favourite or most inspirational place ?

St Ives in Cornwall. The place is just so beautiful I’m afraid I’m a bit obsessed with it. I plan to move there one day.



Professionally, what’s your goal?


I would love to illustrate a childrens book. 

Gallery2Gallery is the partnership between Cromford Studio and Gallery and Studio 61 Karina Goodman Gallery two artists studios working together to showcase their own work and that of other selected friends of the gallery. This is the first joint exhibition by one artist at both venues and as it is the height of summer what better way to see the work of your favourite artists than taking the historic trail that lies between.
On the trail you will discover unique book shops, tea rooms, two historic mills, canal trips, the birth place of the industrial revolution and Florence Nightingale to name just a few! 

Rebeccas work is displayed at: Studio 61 Tue - Sat 10 -5 and Sun 11- 4pm
                                                   Cromford Studio and Gallery Wed - Sun 10 -5pm.